Friday, January 23, 2009

I Am a Domestic Engineer a.k.a. Homemaker a.k.a. Stay-At-Home-Mom

I used to prefer being called a Homemaker rather than a Stay-At-Home-Mom or a Housewife. I thought it gave more meaning to the gravity of what I actually do for my husband and my kids. Hehehe!

Then I stumbled upon the term "Domestic Engineer" in the Internet and thought this was so hilarious, but possibly true. A lot of people think that just because I am involved full time with my kids and my home that I have all the time in my hands to do other things. That is far from true! Indeed I am like an engineer, putting theoretical ideas into practical use whether it be in cooking, parenting, budgeting, etc. So for Journaling Junkie's challenge, I thought this would make a great page. :-)

I am a Domestic Engineer
Title: I am a Domestic Engineer
Subtitle: a.k.a. Homemaker a.k.a. Stay-At-Home-Mom
Materials: From various Studio Azul kits
Journaling: Job description:
  • Manages the resources of the household. May perform general housekeeping chores and personal services, or may assign them to other members of the household or even employ people outside the household to do these tasks.
  • Keeps the home clean and running smoothly. Cleaning tasks may include dusting, sweeping, making beds, washing and waxing floors, vacuuming, and a wide variety of other chores. Must make sure that clothing and household items are laundered, dry-cleaned, or mended when needed. Responsible for shopping for food, clothing, and other household needs.
  • Responsible for planning, cooking, and serving many of the meals for their households. May make arrangements to have others cook meals in the home or to buy meals from outside sources.
  • Tasks include to maintaining the household budget. May take care of bills, banking, tax filing, and other financial matters. Often responsible for day-to-day expenses, and sometimes long-range financial planning for the households. With other household members, may make decisions about buying insurance, taking vacations, getting loans, and other important matters.
  • Have a great deal of responsibility for the care of children. If children are very young, must feed, dress, and bathe them. As the children grow, must be responsible for creating a happy, healthy environment that will foster positive emotional and physical development. Required to teach children good health and personal habits, and make sure that they have proper medical and dental care. May help them with their homework.
  • Required to drive household members to and from their daily activities.
  • Tasked to improve the appearance of their homes. May often decoarte houses or apartments. May paint or paper walls and ceilings, apply floor coverings, or refinish furniture. Sometimes may care for lawns and gardens.

3 comments:

simply me said...

dalaga na ang mga girls mo!!!!!
and I like your title.
Pakopya ha!

Candy said...

Love the title "Domestic Engineer" because it is so true!!! Great LO, Mia!

Dinah said...

what can i say mia? you have the toughest job in the world! love your page :)